April 11 – 17, 2010 is National Library Week.
National Library Week is an annual celebration of the contributions of our nation’s libraries and librarians.
This year’s theme and focus is on the many ways libraries support local communities.
Here at Gleeson many of our events, displays, and exhibitions give library goers an opportunity to meet others who are interested in similar arts and letters, as well as provide intellectual and aesthetic stimulation through collective enjoyment of art, discussions, and talks. Allow me to count a few of the ways Gleeson Library | Geschke Center is supporting local communities in 2010 alone:
- Thacher Art Gallery Exhibits – Positively Sixth Street & The Urban Unseen. Both examine how our surroundings in San Francisco — from people to buildings to everything in between — influence our lived experience. Every exhibit is accompanied by a reception and a talk.
- Gleeson Celebration of National Poetry Month brings together USF faculty and staff poets and celebrates San Francisco and Bay Area poetry. Join us on April 29!
- The USF Book Club gives a venue to avid readers and book lovers to meet and discuss books. They meet once a month and are open to all USF people. Join us on April 14!
- Exhibition, events, and talks given in the Rare Book Room — most recently The Exhibition of Mezzotints, which included an artist talk.
- Community & campus outreach, such as staffing a library table at Stress Less Day, donating library fines to Haiti and conducting correspondence with elementary students interested in our library.
- Providing facilities to foster the educational group experience, such as computer labs, group study rooms, and conversational areas for academic discussion.
The moral of the story… if you aren’t already participating in or enjoying some of the activities and services listed above, we would love you to! You can keep up to date with Gleeson goings-on by checking us out right here at our blog, Gleeson Gleanings. Please consider this your formal invitation to join us at a talk, exhibition, or just to come soak up the positive info vibes we radiate. We would love to see you!